Food Loss Reduction
Relation between themes and business activities
Concerned that, in the future, food supply will be tight due to population growth, the efficient use of limited food resources is an important theme for food ingredient manufacturers. Besides reducing food loss in our manufacturing process, we can contribute to reducing food loss in B-to-C food manufacturers, who are our customers, and in retail through product development, taking advantage of our position as a B-to-B food ingredient manufacturer.
The Fuji Oil Group works on technological development to extend the best-before date of our products as well as our customers' products. This will contribute to reducing food loss in the value chain. In FY 2020, we will take a more comprehensive approach to food loss, strengthening our initiatives as new priority theme for ESG management.
We promote our initiatives to reduce food loss under the supervision of the Chief Technology Officer (CTO). Moreover, from FY 2020, the ESG Committee,* which is an advisory body to the Board of Directors, confirms the progress and results of these initiatives as a priority theme for ESG management.
* Refer to the URL below for details of the ESG Committee.
In order to reduce food loss in the supply chain, we will continue working on technologies for extending the best-before date of our customers' products and for reprocessing surplus food on a Group-wide basis. In FY 2020, we plan to promote activities aimed at extending the best-before date of products and reprocessing products in the bread market.
Best-before date extension
Initiatives in this area include: ingredients development, combining manufacturing technologies, and co-creating with customers.
For instance, chilled dessert puddings may have a short best-before date because they lose their smooth texture over time. Fuji Oil Co., Ltd. can extend the best-before date of these products through ingredients that can maintain the smooth texture over time and by suggesting appropriate manufacturing conditions for customers. In this way, we contribute to reducing food loss by keeping the deliciousness of food for a longer time.
We can also contribute to reducing food loss by reprocessing unsold surplus food. For instance, we can provide ingredients for reprocessing unsold fresh baked bread * into dressed bread, thereby contributing to reducing food loss.
* This includes bread loaf, a butter roll, a French bread, etc. that can be eaten in various ways, including by itself and with favorite ingredients put between or on top.
Unsold surplus bread French toast Unsold surplus baguettes Crispy Gorgonzola toast
- Inquiries are accepted during company hours on weekdays.
Working hours: 9:00 AM ~ 5:00 PM, Monday ~ Friday
(Inquiries are not accepted on Saturdays, Sundays, holidays, the year-end holiday season, the summer vacation season, and company holidays.)
- Please note that it may take considerable time for us to respond to your inquiry, depending on the matter raised.
Please also note that we may not be able to provide a response, depending on the matter raised.
- Replies will be sent to the individual customer. Please refrain from forwarding, making secondary use of, or disclosing any reply, in whole or in part, to any third party, without the permission of our company.
- Because we may furnish a reply by telephone, please enter a telephone number where you can be contacted during the day.
Click the send button if the text is correct.
We have received your inquiry. Thank you for sending it.