- Message from the C“ESG”O
- Fuji Oil Group and ESG Management Overview
- ESG Management Priority Themes (Materiality)
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Environmental Management
- Sustainable Procurement Management
- Sustainable Procurement of Palm Oil
- Sustainable Procurement of Cacao
- Sustainable Procurement of Soybeans
- Development of manufacturing methods with low environmental impact
- CO2 Emissions Reduction
- Water Usage Reduction
- Food Loss Reduction
- Waste Reduction
- Packaging Materials Reduction
- Sustainable Procurement of Shea Nuts
- Human Rights Management
- Providing solutions to food resources shortage
- Response to Excessive Sugar Intake Concerns
- Reduction of trans fatty acid contents
- Ensuring Thoroughgoing Food Safety and Quality
- Practice of Diversity Management
- Promoting Occupational Safety and Health
- Employment / Human Resource Development
- Maintenance and promotion of employee health (health management)
- Coexistence with Communities
- Sustainability Report Download
- FUJI OIL GROUP Grievance Mechanism
- Supply Chain Data Base
- Certification Information
- Fuji Oil Group Basic Policy of Safety,
Quality and Environment
- Fuji Oil Group Human Rights Policy
Response to Excessive Sugar Intake Concerns
Relation between themes and business activities
There is increasing global concerns to excessive sugar intake to prevent obesity and lifestyle-related diseases. For instance, in 2015, the World Health Organization (WHO) published a guideline that recommends adults and children to reduce their daily intake of free sugar to less than 10% of the total energy intake.
The Fuji Oil Group uses sugar in many products, such as industrial chocolate and whipping cream. Our research excels in plant-based protein ingredients*, which can partially replace sugar. As a B-to-B food ingredient manufacturer, we can contribute to suppressing excessive sugar intake.
* Plant-based protein ingredients that can partially replace sugar: The sugar contained in staple foods (bread, cereals, etc.) and confectionery can be partially replaced with our plant-based protein ingredients. We suggest customers to partially use our plant-based protein ingredients when making bread and cereals to reduce the sugar content of the products.
We provide delicious and sugar-suppressing solutions for the health of people around the world. We provide delicious food ingredients with an excellent nutritional balance to customers and consumers by partially replacing the sugar in food with protein. We can contribute to solving the excessive intake of sugar by consumers by proposing and providing high-protein, sugar-reduced foods.
We promote our initiatives to reduce sugar intake under the supervision of the Chief Technology Officer (CTO). Moreover, from FY 2020, the ESG Committee,* which is an advisory body to the Board of Directors, confirms the progress and results of these initiatives as a priority theme for ESG management.
* Refer to the URL below for details of the ESG Committee.
Going forward, we will expand the sales of sugar-free products and develop plant-based protein ingredients that partially replace the sugar in food (bread and other staple foods and confectionery). In FY 2020, we will advance the development of food ingredients that help to increase the ratio of protein in staple foods, such as bread and cereals.
Expanding the sales of sugar-free chocolate
We are increasing the sales of sugar-free chocolate to meet the desire of consumers to reduce sugar intake. Blommer Chocolate Company (United States) is increasing the sales of sugar-free compound chocolate* to large customers, which is produced on a dedicated production line. Demand for sugar-free chocolate is increasing in Japan and Europe, and we anticipate that an increasing number of consumers will want to refrain from sugar intake in other Asian countries as well. The Fuji Oil Group is committed to deliciousness and health. To provide delicious sugar-free products around the world, using the Group’s network in the chocolate business, we are working together in selecting raw materials, designing recipes, developing manufacturing methods, and selling products to customers.
* Compound chocolate: The main ingredients of chocolate are cacao, milk, sugar, and oils and fats. In compound chocolate, non-cacao vegetable oils and fats are used instead of cocoa butter.
Expanding sugar-reduced foods
The Group proposes and provides food with an excellent nutritional balance by continuing research on delicious plant-based protein ingredients to partially replace the sugar in sugar-rich foods (staple foods and confectionery) with proteins.
For instance, by partially replacing the sugar in staple foods, such as bread and cereals, with proteins, it is possible to easily reduce the amount of sugar without sacrificing taste. We contribute to delivering the joy of food and health to consumers by proposing and providing delicious plant-based protein ingredients that can replace these sugars to customers.
Sugar-reduced cookie bars Sugar-reduced cereals
* The photos are for illustration purposes only.