Reduction of CO2 emissions
Since the Paris Agreement came into effect, the importance of tackling climate change has been increasingly recognized around the world. Being a food manufacturer, the Fuji Oil Group emits CO2 as a results of its production processes,plant operations and energy use, and. As a member of society, we are committed to contributing to achieving the Paris Agreement. To this end, we will promote more aggressive efforts to mitigate climate change and prevent global warming. In the Environmental Vision 2030, we set CO2 reduction targets in line with Science Based Targets (SBT) approach. We aim to acquire the SBT certification in the future. We will further reduce CO2 emissions through further energy-saving activities on the production sites, and by promoting the introduction of energy-efficient equipment and the use of renewable energy.
24% reduction in total CO2 emissions by 2030 (Base year: 2016)
CO2 emissions at the Fuji Oil Group in FY 2018
|24% reduction in total CO2 emissions by 2030||14.1% reduction||59%|
*Data not included from Industrial Food Service (one plant in Australia) and Blommer Chocolate Company (three plants in the U.S., one plant in Canada, and one plant in China), which became our group companies in July 2018 and January 2019, respectively.
In FY 2018, CO2 emissions at Group companies in Japan were 161,557 t-CO2, down 3.6% from the previous fiscal year. CO2 emissions at Group companies outside Japan were 277,097 t-CO2, down 8.7% from the previous fiscal year. Major contributing factors for these results are as follows:
- Closure of Fuji Oil (Japan)'s Sakai Plant, and divestment of the Ishikawa Plant
- Replacement of some freezers at Fuji Oil (Japan) with energy-efficient models
- Replacement of some oil & fat production equipment at Fuji Oil (Japan) with energy-efficient models
- Termination of production activities at Jirin Fuji Protein Co., Ltd. (China) in August 2018, following the transfer of equity
- Improving the thermal efficiency of air conditioners, strengthening the heat insulation of fryers, and consolidating the steam piping at Shandong Long Teng Fuji Foodstuffs Co. Ltd. (China)
- Integration of air compressors at Fuji Oil (Zhang Jia Gang) Co., Ltd. (China)
- Installation of a solar hot water system at Fuji Oil (Zhaoqing) Co., Ltd., which commenced operation in July 2018
Solar hot water system installed at Fuji Oil (Zhaoqing) Co., Ltd.
- Solar hot water system installed at Fuji Oil (Zhaoqing) Co., Ltd.
Since FY 2016 the Fuji Oil Group has responded to the CDP climate change questionnaire. This, recognizing the importance of disclosing information on initiatives to combat climate change.
The Group's response to the FY 2018 questionnaire is available at the following URL. (Japanese only)
Note: You will need to register for a CDP account to access the questionnaire.
Greenhouse gas emissions
Total energy consumption (CO2 emissions equivalent) and energy consumption per unit of production
*At least 70% of Scopes 1 and 2 CO2 emissions data were verified by a third-party.
Sources of CO2 emission factors
|In Japan||Outside Japan|
|Fuel||"Manual for Calculating and Reporting Greenhouse Gas Emissions"||"Manual for Calculating and Reporting Greenhouse Gas Emissions"
North America: United States Environmental Protection Agency (U.S. EPA)
|Electricity||"Manual for Calculating and Reporting Greenhouse Gas Emissions" Factor by supplier||Emission factors by country from the International Energy Agency (IEA)'s "CO2 Emissions from Fuel Combustion"
North America: U.S. EPA
Total energy consumption (crude oil equivalent) and energy consumption per unit of production
|Light oil||Heavy oil||LPG||LNG||Coal||City gas||Renewable energy|
Total power consumption
|Total electric energy||Electric energy produced in-house|